Online Reputation – How To Create A Buffer Around Your Name
You can watch the above for a recording of the live broadcast between Gyi Tsakalakis and I. We go over the basic preventive measures you should take in order to protect your name online.
- Buy a domain with some version of your name. JaneDoeLawyer.com
- Build a website on the domain. This does not have to be robust, a one-pager will do.
- Register accounts on the three major social media websites: Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin. Use the same name as your domain.
- In the social media profiles you create, link to your domain.
- If your law firm has a website with some solid authority/equity, makes sure your profile page is robust.
- Claim basic profiles on lawyer registry/review sites.
- If there are pictures of you on the web (social media profiles, headshots on your website or firm page), make sure you are properly labeled. “Jane Doe” not IMGDR4385.JPG.
- Be present online – blog, be active on social media, write for a totally separate publication.
All of the above should go a good ways to protecting your name online. For more details on each of the above, watch the video.